Projection name: Werner
- Projection naming principle: Principle of Preponderance of Precedence.
- Year of origin: ca. 1500.
- Name of originator: Johann Stabius (Vienna).
- Originator reference:
- Year of formulation:
- Name of formulator:
- Formula citation:
- Projection synonyms: Stab-Werner, Stabius-Werner.
- Projection properties: Authalic; distances are correct from north pole (in equatorial aspect).
- Projection derivatives:
- Naïve specializations:
- Generalizations: Is the Bonne projection with the standard parallel set to the north pole.
Modern texts surveyed¹ all use Werner with the exception of Maling, who preferred Stab-Werner. Werner published and promoted the projection, yet he did the same for Stabius's other projections as well, so there does not seem to be any good reason to prefer Stab-Werner for just this projection.
¹ M. d'Avezac, 1863; A.R. Hinks, 1912; J.A. Steers, 1927; R.K. Melluish, 1931; P. Richardus & R.K. Adler, 1972; D.H. Maling, 1973; F. Pearson II, 1984; J.P. Snyder, 1989.